Saturday, January 12, 2013

Preparing for a live show

Coming up next month is the Sleigh Rally Live Show in Columbus, Wisconsin, so I thought I'd give you a little look into how I go about getting ready for a model horse show.


First thing I do is go to the website for the show, in this case Sleigh Rally Live Show, and print out the class list.

Then I look over each division and see what classes they have, and start thinking of what models I want to show in each.  For example, in the first division, Performance, I can show in the Arabian costume class, because I have Arabian tack, a custom set that was made for me by a friend (in Green Bay Packers colors, of course).  Once I have a rough idea of how many classes I can enter, I start writing up my show string.

Moondust Spirit in Bedouin-style tack



I start with the first division, Performance, and write down each class I'll be entering, and which model will be in that class - Moondust Spirit in Arab, Wascechun-Tashunka ("American Horse") in Native American, Sparrow's Spiced Rum in Other Costume, etc.

Sparrow's Spiced Rum in medieval tack at the GLC show two years ago
Many shows limit you to three models per class, which sometimes makes it difficult to decide who to take.  In that case I'll give first consideration to any new models, OF or CM, that I have, then I add those that consistently place, even if they only always take fourth or below.  After that, if I have room in the class, I go with models I've tried a few times that haven't placed.  As I said before, you never know from one show to the next how a model will do.

It's always a good idea when you're showing to have as much documentation as you can for any unusual breeds you're showing, as long as you don't take up too much space on the table.  Most shows won't permit a breed book (Some of those can be HUGE!), but you can always photocopy the particular page you need, as long as it isn't larger than 8" x 11".  What I like to do is find the pertinent breed information (size, conformation, color) and type it up on the computer, adding a picture if I feel it will help illustrate my point, print it out, and glue it on an index card.  The judges don't want to or have time to read a lot of extra information; they basically want to know you've done your homework and the model looks like the breed you selected for it.

Morning Twilight with his breed card, and second place ribbons from both judges
The same goes for performance classes if it isn't readily obvious what you have your model doing (Approaching a jump is rather obvious, but waiting for his rider to open the gate might not be), and it's especially important in collectability classes, since the judges can't be expected to know all the special run models that have been produced, or what years a certain unrealistic color was in production.

Hot Toddy in the collector class, with info card and mirror to show "test 09" written on his belly

Once you have all your documentation together and your show string decided on, then you can begin the fun process of packing for the show.  Some people actually never unpack their show string, since they show the same models at every show, which saves them time.  I take my models out and put them back on the shelves the day after I get home, because I don't always take the same models, and maybe I want to sell or trade a model.

Everyone has their own method of packing - all customs in one tote, all "breakables" (chinas, resins) in hard plastic cases, whatever works for them.  Depending on the size of my show string I might use one large tote, or a couple smaller ones.  I like to start with the models for my collector classes, because they'll be the last ones shown, so they go on the bottom of the tote.  For years I just wrapped my models in scraps of sweatshirt material, but now that I have a sewing machine I'm going to make "pony pouches" for them.  There're all kinds of pouches out there - some have closeable flaps (Velcro closure or tied shut), some have a layer of bubble wrap between two layers of fabric.  Mine are just going to be simple slip-in style; just fold the fabric in half and sew up the two sides.

Arwen thought she could go along last fall
I have a spiral-bound notebook that I use for my show strings - at the top of the page I write the name & date of the show, then I start with the first division and class I'll be entering, with the class number in the margin.  The class list and any large papers (certificate of authenticity, copies of magazine pages for reference) go in a pocket folder (with horses on the front, of course).  Those are the last two things to go into the tote.  I also take along white and black paint, a paintbrush, a container for water, and my earth-tone pastels for any last-minute touch-ups, a mirror wrapped in cloth in the index card case for any models with a signature or other information on their bellies, a pair of large nail clippers (to cut new models free of their box), extra tags, and a pen.  And I also have a list of potential names, in case I or someone else get a new horse (or two) at the show and decide to show them right away. 

Speaking of names - you never know where or when you'll get the inspiration for a model horse name.  I currently have 63 on my list; some are names I kept from models I sold or traded, some I'll probably never actually use (Faded Love sounds cool, but what kind of horse would that fit?).  A few years ago a friend of mine purchased a rare Breyer Clydesdale and decided to show him in a collector class.  She didn't think he'd place because he was a bit yellowed, and she said "I'm gonna show him, even though he doesn't have a snowball's chance."  I laughed and said "That's the perfect name for him!"  So Snowball's Chance he became...and he placed!

Oh, and one other important thing I take along - my digital camera.  I try to get pictures of my models with their ribbons after I get them back to the table, and write down in the notebook what place they took (and how many were in the class) but sometimes there isn't time because the show is moving so fast.  But it's also great to be able to get pictures of other models in the classes; you might see a performance set-up that inspires you, or an amazing customization of a model.  Sometimes I'll take a picture of a class I entered if it's particularly huge.

Poseidon, a custom "sea-horse" at one of our shows a couple years ago
A steer wrestling entry at last year's Sleigh Rally show
Two tables' worth of OF Spanish models @last fall's Crystal Creek Riders show
The show is a little less than a month away, and I still have three customs to finish and the pouches to sew up.  I better get cracking!

No comments:

Post a Comment