Thursday, March 29, 2012

Word for the Day

With such an overabundance of good words to choose from, it was hard for me to make my choice, but I finally decided on plethora [pleth-er-uh].

As I said before, I love words.  I don't use "big, fancy" words just for the sake of using them, though.  If I'm writing about someone facing several choices for the style of a dress, for example, I'd probably say "Kristin was overwhelmed by all the different combinations of length and sleeve style."  It all depends on the tone of the story.  And, often, the character themselves.  A well-educated British librarian, for instance, would be more apt to say "There's a virtual plethora of fairies in Irish mythology."


Which...brings up something a dear friend of mine once said when reading one of my "Buffy: the Vampire Slayer" fan fictions.  She said I "write British very well."  Meaning I had captured the "voice" of the character Rupert Giles (played by Anthony Stewart Head) perfectly.  And that's a fantastic thing for any writer to hear - that their reader(s) can "hear" their characters as they're reading, whether they're "borrowed" characters (writing based on someone else's creation) or the writer's own inventions.

No comments:

Post a Comment